The Best Back Massager Reviews Consumer Reports – Top Back Massager Cushion for You
Everyone loves a good relaxing massage. Sometimes you might lack the time or money to make that trip to the masseuse. This is why the best back massager units are God-send products.
The best neck & back massagers give total relaxation experience, ease back or neck pain and to remove fatigue. They are also quite convenient because you get to have your massage anytime. Without using too much money or making trips to the masseuse.
Table of Contents
- The 10 Best Back Massager – Quick Overview
- 10 Best Back Massager Reviews
- 1. Zyllion ZMA-14-BK FDA Listed Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager
- 2. Homedics QRM-400H Quad-Roller Shiatsu & Rolling Massaging Cushion
- 3. Gideon™ Luxury Six-Program Customizable Massaging Cushion
- 4. Belmint Seven-Program Customizable Back Massaging Cushion
- 5. Homedics Air Compression and Shiatsu Massage Cushion
- 6. Homedics SBM-650H Shiatsu and Vibration Massage Cushion
- 7. Relaxzen 60-2955 Full Back Shiatsu and Rolling Massager
- 8. New Five Star FS8812 10-Motor Vibration Massage Seat Cushion
- 9. SKG Premium [2-in-1] Large Shiatsu Kneading Back Massage Cushion
- 10. Naipo Back Massage Cushion Back Massager
- Things To Consider When Buying A Back Massager Cushion
- Final Words
The 10 Best Back Massager – Quick Overview
|Image||Product Name||Top Point||Weight||Price|
|Zyllion ZMA14||3 Massage styles||15.5 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Homedics QRM-400H||6 different programs||14.1 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Gideon GD-MSG-CS2||6 different programs||11.4 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Shiatsu Back Massager||3 Massage styles||15.6 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|HoMedics MCS-775H||3 different programs||12.1 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Homedics SBM-650H||3 Massage styles||9.5 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Relaxzen 60-2955||6 different programs||9.5 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|FIVE S FS88 12||4 massage programs||3.8 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|SKG Shiatsu Back Massage||4 different programs||17 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Naipo Back Massage Cushion||3 different programs||8.3 pounds||Check Latest Price|
10 Best Back Massager Reviews
Finding the top quality back massager cushion/back massager is not an easy job. However, I have simplified the work by providing you with reviews of recommended products that will be a great purchase.
1. Zyllion ZMA-14-BK FDA Listed Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager
The Zyllion ZMA-14-BK FDA Listed Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager is black and has 4 adjustable Shiatsu massage modes for the neck and heat that you can switch on and off separately from other modes. It has 2 vibrating motors for hip relaxation and can accommodate any body type and width and height.
The seat cushion has 3 vibrating intensities for an amazing vibrating massage and shuts off automatically after 15 minutes. The 4 Shiatsu massage nodes perform deep-kneading and rolling actions of the massage and zone in on the neck, back of the lumbar area and upper back, also known as focus areas to improve blood circulation, relieve tension and treat lower and upper back pain.
It has a back strap that makes it easily attachable to a chair or sofa or recliner. It is customizable and gives you control to create massage experiences fit for you. The massage nodes move in a unique up and down fashion with the concept of somatology in mind.
Trying The Zyllion ZMA-14-BK FDA video created by – Mister Back
- Relieve pain and fatigue from stress and exercise
- Heating function soothes aching muscles
- Ergonomic design for maximum comfort, and enables use on neck, abdomen, upper back, thighs, and calves
- FDA registered
- Attachable to any chair
- 3 levels of vibration massage on the cushion
- Not recommended for use in the car
- Auto-shut off time of 15 minutes seems short
2. Homedics QRM-400H Quad-Roller Shiatsu & Rolling Massaging Cushion
It features shiatsu and rolling massage features, with 4 (quad) independent rollers that move up and down your back with 30-second instant heat, targeting all the major areas. It comes with six programs, upper, lower or entire back in Shiatsu and a rolling massage in those 3 modes. This model has an adjustable spot focus massaging that help you focus the massage action on one spot until you get the relief that you need.
It has a hand control that makes switching settings a breeze with the touch of a button. Using the width button on the remote, it comes with helps you customize the width of the massage rollers to a width suitable for your body.
It has an integrated strapping system that helps you secure it to any chair, and has LED illumination that lights the massage mechanism in a cool blue light so you can see the action, and is also aesthetically pleasing.
- Adjustable width control
- Rolling and shiatsu, circular deep kneading action
- Heat in the moving mechanism for maximum relief
- Spot focus feature holds massage action where you need it to
- Firm, intense massages might be too much if you want a light, comforting massage
- If used for more than 15 minutes, it might overheat
3. Gideon™ Luxury Six-Program Customizable Massaging Cushion
This massaging cushion has 4 massaging nodes that travel up and down to ensure the entire back is massaged. You have options, and you can choose from a full back massage, upper or lower back massage. Dual speed settings give you the option of high or low speed.
The moving shiatsu massage nodes can be adjusted to hit a specific spot on your back. This is known as spot focus massaging. It is controlled by up and down arrows to move the shiatsu massage nodes up or down your back. The intensity of the massage can also be increased and decreased.
It also has a powerful rolling massage feature, which can also target your full, upper or lower back to roll out the fatigue from your muscles. It has the vibrating massage function that offers 3 levels of the vibration massage and offers optional heat to help you relax further or to ease the pain.
- Spot focus massaging that is adjustable
- Relaxing rolling massage
- Vibration massage feature ensures maximum relaxation
- Massaging nodes move up and down
- Optional heat for extra comfort
- 3D rotating balls give the experience of a professional masseuse’s hands because they knead and penetrate muscles and tissues
- Too intense for some people
- For taller people, the massage nodes might not reach the neck properly
4. Belmint Seven-Program Customizable Back Massaging Cushion
This is a portable back massager that delivers the ultimate massage experience that allows you to take your ‘masseuse’ with you wherever. It will save you money and hours spent at the spa getting that deep-kneading massage. And the best part is since it does not get tired, it delivers perfect which every single time.
It has a back strap that is adjustable, making it easily attachable to any chair. With amazing customizability that gives you full control to create a massage experience that fits your preference. This unit also has a 15-minute auto-shutoff feature.
With 4 shiatsu massage modes for the back and lumbar area, it ensures amazing deep kneading and rolling massages, with adjustable focus areas, positions and height, and width, improving versatility. The adjustable moving Shiatsu massage nodes for the back area have a soothing heating function that can be used for pain relief and muscle relaxation and can be turned on and off independently.
- 3 vibration levels on the seat cushion
- Easily attachable to any chair with the adjustable back strap
- 4 Shiatsu massage nodes for deep kneading and rolling on adjustable focus areas
- Customizability ensures unique options to suit your preference
- The width of the rollers cannot be adjusted unless it’s in shiatsu mode
- The roller balls that go up and down are hard hence aggressive and might cause discomfort or pain
- The design is not ergonomic and doesn’t fit the back perfectly, and you have to position yourself and make yourself comfortable
5. Homedics Air Compression and Shiatsu Massage Cushion
This is a unique and fantastic massager that has 3 intensity levels of high, medium and low, and will squeeze and compress your lumbar area very gently. It is versatile and will deliver soothing massages up and down your back,
with 3 massage functions where you can do the upper, mid or lower back separately or simultaneously.
It has a programmable remote to set to your favorite settings. It has a top cover that is removable, helping you tailor the massage energy from light to more intense. The straps allow it to be attachable to any chair, and to hold it in place.
The heat is calming and soothing to the body and has 4 massaging nodes that move up and down, massaging the whole back. It also has the spot focus feature, which means the moving Shiatsu massage nodes can be set to focus on a specific spot on your back. It is important to note that diabetics should not use this compression massage cushion.
- Powerful rolling massage function
- Soothing vibration massage
- Adjustable spot focus massaging
- Optional heat to soothe, relieve tension and relax muscles
- 3D rotating balls mimic a masseuse’s hands
- Massaging nodes move up and down covering the entire back
- The nonergonomic design doesn’t curve with the spine
- Delivers very aggressive massages that might be uncomfortable or painful to some
6. Homedics SBM-650H Shiatsu and Vibration Massage Cushion
The Homedics SBM-650H has deep kneading shiatsu nodes that move inward and outward, across and up and down ensuring the entire back is reached and thoroughly massaged. It also has a vibration feature to soothe and relax muscles.
The programmed remote control that comes with this massage cushion ensures ease of use, convenience, and added comfort. The easy to use hand control lets you manage three zones as the massager works, which is the entire back, lower back or upper back.
The SBM 650h also has the spot massage feature, which enables you to isolate the massage action to a specific point for relief at that point. And also has soothing heat for further relaxation.
- Spot massage
- Programmed remote control for ease of use
- Soothing heat
- Kneading massage for added relaxation
- Vibrating massage invigorates tired muscles
- 3 massage zones
- Not great for taller people, for it will not reach the shoulder blades
- When not in use, it is stiff and lumpy and uncomfortable
7. Relaxzen 60-2955 Full Back Shiatsu and Rolling Massager
This powerful massager from Relaxzen is powered with 3 motors and aims to soothe the full, lower and upper back muscles. It has an optional heat feature for heat therapy to relax the user further and even relieve pain.
This unit has 3 auto timer settings which are a good feature since the massager doesn’t go off sooner than you need it to, for you can just adjust the timer settings. Additionally also includes vibration setting of the seat with 3 intensities.
It has a unique rolling setting that can be adjusted to suit your preference. This model delivers 2-speed or spot rotating Shiatsu massage. Especially add a remote control for ease of use and increased comfort, given its convenience and ergonomic design. It also has a storage pouch for the remote.
- Additional seat vibration setting that has 3 intensities
- Remote control with its storage pouch
- 3 massage motors to soothe the back, with optional heat
- 3 auto timer settings
- Rotating shiatsu massage
- For shorter people, it is not ideal because the back is tall
- The rollers are hard and might be uncomfortable especially when used in high intensity
- The backboard is stiff and doesn’t have a bump for the neck
8. New Five Star FS8812 10-Motor Vibration Massage Seat Cushion
The New Five Star FS8812 10-Motor Vibration Massage Seat Cushion is exceptional, with its 10 vibration motor technology that provides a user with a firm vibrating massage, targeting the thighs, neck and back with this technique. It offers soothing, concentrated, optional heating for the lower back region for further comfort.
This is convenient for the car, home or office, increasing versatility. It is supplied with extra charging options that make it suitable for all environments so that you can enjoy this vibrating massage almost anywhere you, please.
It has three speeds, and a hand control unit is also provided. Stress relief is divided into 4 zones, namely thighs, lumbar, lower and upper back and the shoulders to ensure total relaxation because these are the focus areas of a massage. It also has an auto-shutoff feature that ensures it switches off after 30 minutes when not in use.
- Vibrations can help alleviate pain
- Optional heat can be switched on and off as you please
- Hand control unit makes switching speeds and settings easy
- Complete portability and comes with a vehicle adapter
- 30-minute automatic shut off
- Capable of focusing on 4 areas. I.e. the shoulders or upper back, lower back, lumbar and thigh.
- It is a little bulky
- Not a Shiatsu massager
This ergonomic back massage cushion aligns perfectly with the shape of the back, lumbar, neck and head, and has a neck massager that can be adjusted up and down. This gives you amazing customizability for a massage experience that is uniquely tailored for you, by you.
It is two large premium massagers in one and at the price of one with 8 massage nodes, 4 massage zones to shiatsu and knead the lumbar and back. Also features for the best neck massager, 4 massage nodes to massage the head and neck.
It has two massage modes for shiatsu and kneading, a forward mode for kneading and reverse mode for a shiatsu massage. It has a separately controlled infrared heating function that can be turned on and off at as you please. Heat relieves fatigue, pain, relaxes further, and improves metabolism. You can also use any best tens unit for pain.
- Ergonomic design for comfort
- Heating function independently controlled
- Has a back and neck massager
- Shiatsu and kneading massages with 2 modes
- Large and high qualityCons
- It is powerful, and if used for more than 30 minutes, it will overheat and overheating might cause damage.
- If it overheats or the power supply is unstable, or it is running idle, it gets locked off for 30 minutes.
- May cause a burning feeling or itch on the skin, so it is recommended that you wear soft cotton clothes while on the massager.
10. Naipo Back Massage Cushion Back Massager
The Naipo Back Massage Cushion Back Massager has 12 massage nodes and 3D counter-rotating nodes that give an authentic massage experience by soothing aching or tight muscles, relieving pain or helping you relax. It has a selectable heating feature which is great for further relaxation and also increases the circulation of blood.
This Massager offers deep kneading massages that penetrate tissues and muscles to deliver that calm and relaxing feeling we’re all after when we go in for massages. It follows the curve of your spine, almost as if it is a professional masseuse because of the professional massages it delivers.
It fits into curves perfectly in any chair because of the ergonomic design and is made of soft leather. The ergonomic design also improves comfort for the user and ensures the chair aligns with the curves on the back for a full massage experience.
- Has carry handles to make transportation easy enhancing portability
- One-touch operation
- Ergonomic design
- The large area of breathable mesh cloth for more coziness
- Follows all the shapes on your back and fits in any chair
- Shiatsu Kneading and heat
- Cannot be used while driving
- Is not recommended for use under a pillow or blanket
Things To Consider When Buying A Back Massager Cushion
If you’re looking to buy a back or lower back massager but have no idea how to go about it, do not worry, this review is here to help you. There are various types of massager in the market. Different massager made for the different target area of the body. Some person can select foot massager, handheld massager or massage chair etc. But here are some of the things you ought to consider before purchasing, that will guide you to purchase the ideal back massager for you.
A back massager is a very personal device for personal use. Before purchasing one, you have to do research and read a lot of reviews, available online. Look at the pros and cons and even test one first, if the retailer allows it, before purchasing.
Some massagers are generally (and logically) less portable than others. Such as massage chairs and massage seats. Where you will be using your back massager comes in here. For example at home or a massage parlor where much movement isn’t necessary, and portability isn’t an issue.
Lumbar cushions and manual massagers are better suited to carry around. Some have built-in straps for easier transportation, and for versatility for they can be strapped to any chair at home, in the car or at the office, for a professional massage on the go.
Features Like Acupressure, Heat, And Etcetera
Massaging capabilities only on a massager might not be enough for some. In fact, they should not be enough. Given the varieties of extra features, modern back massagers now come equipped with.
From electrical pulse therapy to heat therapy to extra acupressure ridges to relax muscles or relieve pain, depending on what you need it for. Look for features that are best suited to your needs or condition.
This is one of the most important features to consider. The overall strength of the back massager. Most heavy duty massagers are recommended for people with back pain because they offer deep tissue massages. You know more than 60 to 80% of the United State population has low back pain. However, there are gentler massaging devices so if you are sensitive to intense massages, opt for these.
Also, some have different levels of intensities, from low to medium, then high. Depending on your preference or condition, pick one that suits you best. Because for example if you have back pain and you go for a back massager with high intensity, it might cause more pain than relief, so again, research here is your friend. Also, remember to test it out first if possible.
Manual devices allow the user to control the speed and the intensity of the back massager. With electric massagers, though, it is recommended that you find out the massager’s intensity from reviews and online research first.
Pregnancy Or Some Illnesses
For pregnant women or diabetics, any severe illness, thrombosis, have a pacemaker or has had any recent surgery please avoid. It is at risk of developing blood clots should consult with the physician before using a massage device. Research is important to do some research before purchasing a massaging device for home use. Must ensure you are not putting yourself and your health at risk.
In conclusion, owning massage chairs and cushions is great on so many levels. It saves you those trips to the spa, it is convenient, and you can have your massage anytime you, please. Massages are important to your overall health, for they help to relax and unwind, relieve pain and soothe tight muscles.
Buying the best back massager is a very personal endeavor, which is why you have to put a lot of thought and research into it, to make sure that the one you buy is the one that will best suit your needs. In these reviews are some of the best in the market, and given that extensive research and analysis has been done on each and every one of them, pick one of these, and it is sure to give you your value for money.