Best Leather for Knife Sheath – Guides for 2020
Knives are important when it comes to cutting and even defending yourself against danger. You need to have a particular knife depending on the use. These knives need to have a covering on them so that you don’t get harmed. The best leather for knife sheath are mostly preferred due to their durability and design.
Getting a quality leather knife sheath requires that you research through on the best leather sheath that is available in the market. The knife leather sheaf you want to purchase should match the model of your knife and your preference.
Table of Contents
- Best Leather for Knife Sheath Reviews
- Best leather sheath for fixed blade knife
- Best Leather sheath for folding knife
- Things to consider when purchasing the best leather knife sheath
- Final Verdict
Best Leather for Knife Sheath Reviews
Here are some of the best knife leather sheath you need to check on.
Best leather sheath for fixed blade knife
Fixed blade knives have blades that cannot be folded. They are mostly stronger than the other types of knives since they extend into the handle. These fixed blade knives are mostly suited for hunting, tactical practice, kitchen work and where you may need to use these knives. The application of these knives is varied and they come in different designs and shapes. Most knives are bought with sheaths on them but some need to have a sheath bought separately.
The sheaths are made of different materials from nylon to leather. Such leather sheaths even come with a belt loop, closure strap, and the leather is sewn in different colors and designs. You need the right sheath that is suited for this particular knife. It should cover the sharp edge completely to protect you from getting harmed or injuring yourself. The sheath should be suited for the fixed blade knives and provide the needed cover for such knives. Here are some of the sheaths that can be used on the fixed blade knives.
1. Tops Bushcraft Sheath Browen Leather
The leather is made of high-quality leather. The built and make of the Bushcraft makes it ideal to carry tactical knives and camping knives. The sheath has a fire starter and survival whistle as part of the accessory to make your hunting or camping trip to be awesome.
The sheath has a fold-over design with the welt double stitching in place to enhance the durability of the fixed knife sheath. There are a ring and belt loop that is attached with two straps so that you can make the sheath dangler easily.
- There are a whistle and fire starter in the pack
- It has a fold-over design with a double stitched welt
- There are a belt loop and ring attached to the sheath
- There are straps to make the sheath dangler
- The length of the sheath is standard
- The Tops Bushcraft sheath is made from high-quality materials
- This sheath is built to offer ultimate performance and durability to the user
- The sheath has a survival whistle and the fire starter attached to the sheath
- The sheath is easier to get and off the belt when carried and fixed to the belt
- It fits perfectly on most of the fixed blade knives especially the ones used for tactical practice
- The warranty is not good when compared to other sheaths warranty
- Some individuals don’t like the sheath design
2. Whole Earth Supply Large Brown Leather Sheath
The Whole earth supply large brown leather has a brown color and suited for large knives of up to six inches. The sheath will fit most of the hunting knives and fixed blade knives. The construction of the sheath is made from very thick buffalo leather.
There is double stitching in place to make it stronger. It has the two inches opening to fit in most knives. The belt loop placed on the sheath can easily be attached to a belt that measures 1 7/8 inches.
- It is 7.75 inches long with an opening of 2 inches wide
- The sheath is brown
- The buffalo leather is 1/8 inches thick
- It fits the belt with a width of 1 7/8 inches
- It is made for hunting and skinning knives
- The sheath is suitable for hunting, camping, DIYers, skinning, and hobbyists
- The sheath is double stitched to enhance the quality and provide extra strength to the leather
- There is a belt loop in place and the sheath fits the fixed knives that are 6 inches
- It is made of genuine buffalo leather with a thickness of about 1/8 inches
- The length of the sheath is about 7.75 inches, an opening of 2 inches wide and fits the belt to the width of 1 7/8 inches
- The double stitching on the sheath appears to be a little bit crooked
- The sheath rides a little higher than expected and this requires the dangler attachment to fix this issue
- The belt loop is thinner than expected
3. Triple K Knife Plain Sheath
The Triple K knife sheath is made from two pieces of scrap leather. The sheath is suitable for sheathing most knives. The welted knife pocket and top snap closure make this design ideal for individuals looking for the right design of sheath.
The sheath is suitable for blades that are four inches in length and 1.25 inches in width. The belt loop on the back fits the belt with 2 ¼ inches.
- It is made of two pieces of heavy strap leather
- There is a welted knife pocket with a top snap closure
- It fits the 2 ¼ inches belt
- The sheath suits the four inches long blade
- The knife holster is made for Triple k knives
- It is made of two heavy wide strap leather with the welted knife pocket and top snap closure in place
- The sheath is made to suit the various type of fixed blade knives
- The sheath can fit the fixed blade knives that are four inches and have a width 0f 1.25 inches
- The sheath can be attached to the belt but it should not have a width of more than 2 ¼ inches
- The sheath is made from high-quality leather with an accommodating belt loop
- The stitching made is stretchy and can easily come off with the leather separating
- It has a price point that is higher than the other sheaths
4. Ottoza Custom Handmade Leather Knife Sheath
This sheath is made from high-quality buffalo-hide or the durable hard cow leather. It is suitable for wearing on the base of your lower back or pack strap when the snap-close horizontal belt straps in place.
It has a length of nine inches and a width of 2.75 inches to accommodate the longest fixed blade knives. The sides are smoothed and sanded to provide the perfect finish.
- The sheath has a length of 9 inches
- There is the presence of two 2.5 inches horizontal belt straps
- It is made of hard cow or buffalo-hide saddle leather
- It can be carried horizontally on a strap or belt
- The sides have been smoothed and sanded
- It is handmade from high-quality buffalo-hide saddle leather
- The sides have been smoothed and sanded to provide a quality finish to the sheath
- The sheath is designed to fit the blade that is 7 inches long and has a width of 1.75 inches
- There is a snap close storage pocket that is used for survival kit and sharpening stones
- The presence of the 2.5 inches snap-close horizontal belt straps makes it ideal for snap it to a pack strap or using on a belt
- The sheath cannot fit the Tops T1 tracker knife and TM brown knife
- The front snaps have some none essential vinyl on them
- The sheath draws to the left unless it is placed upside down
Best Leather sheath for folding knife
Folding knives have blades that can be folded and have the locking mechanism in place. These particular knives are used for self-defense, opening an envelope, cutting twine and slicing a piece of fruit. The pocket knives are a part of folding knives with a handle and can fit into the pocket. These knives have multiple blades and some other unique tools in place. They are mostly used in performing light-duty tasks and use on an everyday basis in the house.
Also Read: Best Knife Oil – Guide & Reviews
The spring mechanism in place keeps the knives in a straight or foldable form. Foldable knives need to have a sheath on them when the blades are larger than the normal pocket knives. The sheath should ensure that the foldable knife is held into place. The sheath can be placed on the belt pouch, strapped on the coat and even carried on the side of the bag. There is various type of folding knives sheaths that are available in the market. Here are some of the best folding knives sheaths we recommend.
1. Western Images Leatherworks Inc. Horizontal Leather Knife Sheath
The sheath is composed of two materials. The genuine leather and heavy-duty nylon thread stitching. It provides the needed comfort when it comes to the type of carrying made for this particular sheath.
There is a molded leather to offer the best secure friction fit. The colors of the sheath are both brown and black. The sheaths are handmade and provide a snug fit with two carry options which are the cross draw carry and small back carry.
- It has top grain leather construction with the heavy-duty nylon thread stitching
- It is made for cross and back carry
- The molded leather provides a secure friction fit
- The sheath is handmade
- The leather construction of the sheath has a heavy-duty nylon thread stitching to enhance its durability
- The molded leather in place provides a more secure friction fit
- The sheath is designed for cross-draw carry or the small of back carry
- The sheath is very comfortable when placed on the belt and easily concealable even with the untucked shirt
- It is made of high-quality materials and very secure
- The sheath is a little bit high when placing the Bulk 110 auto foldable knife
- There is a risk of the knife falling out since it doesn’t fit perfectly
2. Ottoza Custom Handmade Black 5” Folding Knife Sheath
The folded knife sheath is handmade with premium hard cow leather making it last longer. It is sanded and smoothed on the side to provide the best finish. It is easier to carry the sheath on the belt using the belt loop or vertical carry on the backpack strap.
The sheath has a length of six inches and a width of 4.2 inches to carry most knives that are five inches long. The sheath is also custom made to fit the various folding knives.
- Made from premium hard cow leather#
- It has a length of 6 inches and a width of 4.2 inches
- It is smoothed and sanded on the sides
- There is a belt loop to be carried on the belt
- This particular sheath is hand made using the premium hard cow leather which is strong and durable
- The sheath measures 6 inches in length and 4.2 inches in width to fit the 5 inches folding knives
- The sheath can be placed and carried on the belt or vertical carry on a strap
- The sheath is made using high-quality materials with a good design incorporated on it
- The sides are sanded and smoothed to offer the ultimate finish to the sheath
- The sheath has to be placed upside down since it draws to the left
- The sheath is not suited for some specific foldable knives
3. Case Trapper Sheath
The case trapper sheath has been made to sheath the Trapper foldable knife. It is lightweight and made from, genuine leather.
The sheath can be carried easily since you can draw the knife on the left or right side. The various foldable knives that are small in size can be carried on the sheath.
- It is lightweight
- Made from genuine leather
- It can support the knives that are four inches
- Stylish design
- The sheath is designed to protect and store knives especially the Trapper foldable knife
- It provides easy and quick access to your foldable knife
- Lightweight and can hold foldable knives of 4 inches in length
- It is made from genuine leather and the case logo stamped on the sheath
- It is easier to carry since it offers the left or right draw
- The cut-outs on the sheath for the belt don’t offer a good design
- The snap closure is not fitted on the sheath which means the knife can fall out
- The sheath only holds the foldable knives that are small in size
Things to consider when purchasing the best leather knife sheath
It is important to have a few tips in mind to help you get the right leather for knife sheath. These are the essential tips that you should consider before you buy.
Knives placed in sheaths need to be carried easily. The area you attach your sheath should offer you quick access especially while in self-defense or tactical practice. That is why the leather sheath that you purchase should be attached to a part of your clothing or even backpack. There are three places where you can attach the sheath. This includes the waist, chest or pack. The waist carry methods involve three ways.
We have the belt carry where your knife is held vertically while the tip is down on the belt. The inside waistband carry a method where people tuck in the knife sheath on the waistband. This method provides concealment of large knives although quick accessibility is hindered. There is also the horizontal carry method where the sheath is placed on the back horizontally. The concealment of the knife is enhanced in this position.
The chest carry method involves strapping the sheath on your vets or backpack strap. The sheath should have some holes so that it can be secured on the straps or the vest. You also need a sheath that can hold your knife on the upside-down position. In some rare cases, the sheath can be strapped on your military pants.
Quality of the Leather Sheath
When selecting the right leather sheath for your fixed or folding knife you need to check on the quality of the sheath. The quality of the leather sheath is determined by how the sheath is made. The sheaths that are mostly made from the hide of cows and even buffalo. The tanning method is mostly vegetable tanning.
This where the high-quality leather material is chosen and the hide that is of poor quality is rejected. The sections are then carefully selected in the making of the sheath. The area where the knife contacts the sheath has to be thick and heavy since the knife always tries to cut its way on the sheath.
That is why the front and back of the sheath has various panels of the cow or buffalo hide. The second item to check on is the stitching applied to the sheath. There are leather sheaths that feature double stitching which fasten the panels together to prevent any tearing. The tip has to have a snap cover to prevent the knife from falling out.
Sheaths are made of different materials from leather, nylon, and Kydex. Individuals mostly prefer leather sheaths due to their quality and durability. The leather sheaths you want to purchase depending on the type and size of the knife you want to sheath. Ensure that you select a brand that will offer a better carry on the sheath, low maintenance and has high-quality stitching and leather used.
We recommend that you check on this review and select the best leather sheath that will suit your needs. The ratings on these sheaths are high and you only need to select the sheath that has caught your eye. It may be the fixed knife sheath or folding knife sheath.